Friday, July 6, 2012

"Get that pig!"

We celebrated America with a good old-fashioned rodeo this year.

The Woodside Junior Rodeo,
where cowboys and yuppies collide.

So awesome.


Wooden bleachers with no assigned seating.  You could just come and go as you please.



While we grown-ups had fun people watching, the kiddos had fun painting horseshoes,


riding ponies,
(Eli's first time on a horse--shhh, don't tell Grandad Jory--
made pretty exciting by his crazy pony that bucked two times)



petting lots of cute animals,
(okay, I joined in on this one, too)





eating rodeo food,
watching the rodeo action,





and getting pumped for the Pig Scramble!

Eli joined the six-and-under group to try and grab a squealing,
squirmy pig by its hindlegs and then drag it back it to the pig trailer. 
Oh man, was this ever entertaining.



Ready, Set,



GO!


This is about how many kids it took to catch just one of these porkers



I think Eli was a little surprised at how LOUD and strong the pigs were
 

Eli eventually let go of the pig's legs, when the pig started pooping as they dragged it, so he didn't earn a trophy.  He did, however, earn a ribbon that he wore proudly the rest of the day.




If you ever hit the Woodside Fourth of July Rodeo, stay for the Pig Scramble.
You will not regret it.

4 comments:

Jim and Connie Jory said...

oh my gosh! I can't believe you went to a rodeo too! Yours looks like it was more fun though - we didn't have a pig scramble! darn it. It was the Sedro-Woolley rodeo and same type of no assigned seats bleachers....love the pics - thanks!

Julianne said...

How funny! Great minds think alike, I guess. :) I had a few Ellensburg flashbacks, I'll admit... even though this one was quite a bit smaller. Love that we all spent the 4th at rodeos!!

Jenae said...

Rodeos are the way to go for the 4th, I am telling you. It feels so patriotic and all-American. The Pig Scramble story was a crack-up.

Unknown said...

Hahahaha!! The pig scramble sounds HILARIOUS. I'd pay good money to see that!!