Saturday, July 28, 2012

Eagle Patrol

Bennett is the kind of kid who was made for school.

Loves the structure.
Loves the work.
Loves the competition.
Loves the rules

This is why it came as no surprise that he was selected to be on Eagle Patrol.
You're dying to know what that is, I'm sure :), so let me tell you:

Eagle Patrol = a group of responsible,
rule-abiding kids,
who get to wear special,
yellow vests at recess
and help enforce the school rules
of safety and respect.

Man, these elementary teachers are smart.
Why didn't I ever think to do that with my high school kids?
Can't you just see some eighteen year-old senior
wearing a yellow vest during English class,
helping me monitor the classroom rules with his/her peers?
Yeah, me either.
Oh well.

So B got to be an enforcer.
And he ate it up.
Every minute.

I finally got to see him in the "yellow vest" I'd been hearing about all year when I went to the academic awards assembly.  He got to don it one last time while receiving a slew of math and reading awards.  Like I said, the kid loves to compete.  Give him a goal of reading the most AR books or getting the most math facts correct, and we will bust his buns to make that happen.  And more often than not, he does it.

I always tell Stephen we'd better enjoy these moments now.
Somehow I don't see children #2 and #3 being quite this into school.
Just a hunch, though.
I certainly hope I'm wrong.



Second-grade academic awards
 

That's Benito in his yellow vest, and that's his teacher, Mrs. Conroy, behind him.




With buddies, Victor, George, and Aaron.
 

No comments: