I've always loved that we got married in June. A June wedding just seems right. And the fact that we tied the knot at the end of the month rather than the beginning has worked out well since having a kid in school. The last six weeks of the schoolyear = pure madness, so thankfully all that hooplah has settled down by the time we attempt to celebrate.
As much as I have and do love June 28th as a wedding anniversary, however, this year has me doubting its magic a bit. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if it's a little cursed instead. When we realized we'd be gathering with Stephen's family on our anniversary weekend this year, we had to laugh because something similar happened three years ago when three big family events collided on that date.
If you look at the photos from three years ago, you notice that Eli is being held by someone rather than standing up on his own. Our then two-year-old had some serious burns on his feet from the day before. He'd run outside and up the back stairs to Lizzy's house in ninety-something degree weather withOUT putting shoes on first and ended up with second-degree burns that didn't allow him to walk for a week. As we remembered that ER visit from '09, we all said, "Well, at least no one is in the hospital this year!"
Never. Never. Never think thoughts like that. Or say them outloud. Fate does not like to be tempted. The Geddes family has now had three hospital visits since those words were uttered last week, only one of which was scheduled. It all started with Mr. Brittle Bones himself, Benito, who while playing at the park decided to jump off a ten-foot rock "just to see if he could do it." Seriously? He fell back on his left wrist and gave himself a closed or buckle fracture that of course required a cast.
Did I mention this was June 27th, the day before we headed off to the funeral, the same exact date that Mr. Eli burned his feet three years ago? Eerie coincidence, but we all figured that would be the end of our bad luck. Not quite. Stephen's parents arrived home to some major plumbing/sewage problems, our youngest nephew had surgery the next day, and not twenty-four hours later Stephen's sister had to have her appendix removed.
Good grief, people. What is going on? We're really hoping our anniversary isn't as cursed as it seems to be, but weeks like this past one definitely make us wonder.


8 comments:
Honey, I'm SO sorry - it just sounds like too much trauma! YES! Let it be DONE! :) That photo of Millie with the parrot is SO cute and your Disney photos are great, too. Can't wait to see you all soon. :)
Man, am I a jerky sister or what? We even talked that day and I didn't even connect that it was your Anniversary the next day. Sister fail once again.
Mom, we're hoping for an end to the trauma too... and we can't wait to see you either!
Did we talk that day, Nae? We were so busy packing and driving that we almost forgot ourselves! We figure we'll celebrate it in August sometime. :)
Wow. Did I ever tell you about how I broke a mirror the night before I got married and so started my marriage with 7 years of bad luck? Have you broken any mirrors in the last 7 years?
I know I haven't broken any mirrors, but I betcha one of our kids has. Darn those kids--they ruin everything! Even our lucky wedding anniversary. :)
I'm sorry is was so busy for you ... We seemed to have picked a bad time for our wedding too. We got married August 28th and it seems that in the last 7 or 8 years out of 10 Julio is gone in some army assignment or other. So we always have to do a before or after celebration and a long distance "Happy anniversary" wish over the phone. I hope your run with freakish accidents around June stop. Maybe it would help for you to have some kind of "house arrest" during the month of June ... food for though! LOL
Okay, Pinky, you win. Not seeing your husband for that many years on your actual anniversary must have been awful. And, yes, I think you're on to something with the house arrest idea; when we disappear next June you'll know why! :)
Post a Comment