I really need to get my groove back.
Maybe highly defined biceps and triceps have something to do with it. . .in which case I may never get my groove back.
Seriously, though, I have been struggling to find a routine that fits me and my new "mom of a kindergartner" schedule for a full month now. I thought school was so cute and fun the first week or so, and then the hard, cold reality of daily drop-offs and pick-ups hit me like a brick. Feeding and clothing the clan by 8am is task enough, but then you tack on a nursing baby, a defiant toddler, a school kid who needs a snack, a water bottle and a homework folder, not to mention constant reminding to dress himself, brush his teeth, do his hair, get his backpack, eat his breakfast. . . and you've got one screaming, hot mess of a mom on your hands!
Needless to say I've given up on the whole "everybody showered and dressed" part of the morning, and only Bennett is really ready by the time we hit school. His teacher and classmates have seen Eli's pajamas and crazy bedhead more than they've seen his regular clothes, but if they take one look at me they'll know the wild hair and sloppy morning attire are clearly genetic. Millie seems to have finally adjusted to being rudely awakened and thrown into the stroller every morning, only to turn around and be awakened and thrown back in the same stroller a few hours later. Tomorrow is Benito's last half-day of kindergarten, however, so Monday's full-day schedule will bring its own set of new challenges in terms of the younger two getting naps before afternoon pick-up.
The hardest part for me has been finding time to do those essentials that were such an integral part of my old groove, things I used to do first thing in the morning or later in the evening, things that kept me happy and sane. Now I'm too rushed and frazzled in the a.m. and way too exhausted in the p.m. and therefore kinda grumpy in-between. I need to be better at dropping out the "non-essentials"--as Sister Beck talked about last Saturday in the R.S. broadcast--to make way for what matters most.
Anyway, if any of you more experienced or just plain smarter Stellas out there have any advice for "groove-less" me, don't hesitate to share. I need all the help I can get.
7 comments:
Ahhh! Julianne, I think that's the nature of 1/2 day kindergarten. This year it's been a bit easier since Emma's in school all day. So hopefully next week will be better for you all.
The morning routine and rush out the door is still pretty frantic. When I can do it, getting to bed at a decent hour and getting up, showered, dressed, prayers said and scriptures read before the children have to be up has really helped. I've found that saying my prayers and reading my scriptures helps keep me mostly sane that day.
I feel for ya! Even though my kids' bus stop is just at the end of our cul-de-sac all the bus drivers and neighbors have seen me in ugly hair/pajama mode. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of the elem school population has, since literally everyone has to pass our yard to go to school.
I try to have the routine stuff as automatic as possible (You'd be amazed at what a kindergartner can learn to do to get ready...I'll email you an illustrated schedule I made for the kids at that age if you want). Then you can deal with all the unusual things that will fly your way.
I second the scriptures and prayer...when it's skipped, chaos ensues at our house. Call me and vent...K always answers my calls, "what did the kids do now??"
Know that everyone goes through this phase.
You WILL find a new groove and get into a real school routine soon. The first month is always just a transition time.
Sorry for the rambling response...Love YA!!
I know exactly what you are talking about. I've been there and will soon again be there. It should be interesting. I agree with the scriptures & prayer ... the shower thing ... most often than not gets left for when Julio gets home (I know not the best but it's hard with a new baby...I think this is when we went to evening baths for the kids too and in the morning a spray bottle and a comb do the trick! hehehe) ... Just remember "This too shall pass" ... it's just a stage that we all seem to have to go through. If I remember right, the first 6 months are the hardest in getting into a routine. You are half way there and then things will automatic have been dropped out of necessity. Don't worry about the pjs, hair, etc. The kids don't care and the parents have all been there. We understand. Love you. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Sorry ... after I made the comment, I remembered something else that really helps me with a new baby so here it is. I do nurse my babies but I also bottle feed them. Not a lot, I give myself the luxury of ONE bottle a day or if is really a bad day more but not by much. I pump and can carry a bottle with my milk (even if is really small just to carry them over until I get home, or we can find a place to sit and nurse. Especially, though, I make sure that in the evening time (around dinner), he/she gets fed by another member of the family thus allowing me free time and a break from being trapped (I know bad wording but that's how it feels sometimes). Some mothers don't do this because they are afraid that the babies will forget how to nurse but I've found that my kids are smart enough to do both and enjoy "me" more ... and as long as you don't over do the bottle feeding, it all works out. I hope this helps.
It is hard. And then you finally get used to the schedule, and it changes again! I've got 2 grade schoolers and one preschooler, and I'm still getting kids off to school in either my PJ's or my workout clothes. Both of which I never want someone to see me in, and inevitably they do!Just smile and enjoy each day, with it's craziness. They grow up in the blink of an eye.
I love seeing mom's and kids in PJ's way more than the all done up and cute mom's. The more the mom is a mess, the more I feel I have something in common with them.
Believe me, the mom's that look perfect and their kids look perfect are much hated. (at least by me =)
You are doing great. Having 3 kids is not an easy task and it is OK to have caos in the mornings. I have to say that evening showers for the kids and myself help us a ton with the morning rush.
Good Luck...
I never had 3 kids that close in age, of course, but doing as much the night before (as others have said) helps the morning routine a lot. I make sure Kendra has her backpack ready to go by the door the night before and double-check it with her to make sure she has everything. And it may sound bad, but baths aren't every day, which helps, and they're in the evening after dinner. But you know, "rushed and frazzled" sounds like par for the course with three children 5 and under! :) We love you! -- Connie
Post a Comment