I received the best Christmas present this year.
Three weeks early.
Completely free of cost.
No wrapping required.
And definitely a surprise. I did not see this one coming.
Let's see if I can give you a few hints to help you figure it out. It means Stephen can sleep in an extra hour or two on Sunday morning. It means I don't have to fold laundry and watch a chick flick alone on Tuesday night. It means the kids get to sit with their dad at church. They even get to see him after church when we get home. Have you guessed this most wonderful of Christmas presents? Yes, indeed, my husband was released from the bishopric. Wahoo!!
I'm not sure Stephen was quite as elated as I was by this news, and his first Sunday sitting with our monkeys down in the peanut gallery certainly didn't help matters, but I think a little more time to sleep and relax and play basketball is starting to grow on him. It took us, and the whole ward, by surprise since this bishopric had only served a year-and-a-half, but the bishop had been having health problems, making it a necessary change.
Stephen, and consequently our family, grew with his service to this calling. I still remember being completely humbled by how long he would stay on his knees at night to pray only a few weeks after being called, already so aware, concerned, and eager to help the members of our ward. He frequently orchestrated service-oriented FHE's for our family, where we shifted the focus of our family from ourselves to someone who needed us. Listening to him share his testimony with our kids, often in small or unexpected moments, brought the Spirit into our home with new frequency and strength. We were lifted as a family. So, as much as I love my best Christmas present ever, I will miss that little lift, as I know Stephen will.




No comments:
Post a Comment