My mission definitely had its physically and spiritually-grueling moments. I still remember the bathroom cockroaches, the suffocating humidity of the coastal towns, the warm "agua" (soda in a small sandwich bag with a straw in it) that never quenched my thirst, the bacterial infection that kept me sick for months, the frustration at not being able to express the testimony I had burning inside me those first few months in the field, the utter loneliness of spending your entire day with a difficult companion, and of course the heartache of investigators whose addictions, relationships or pride prevent them from accepting the gospel.
As persistent as the challenges were, they certainly couldn't eclipse the good. I felt the truest kind of peace and happiness I had known in my twenty-one years of life while serving in Guatemala. Studying the scriptures with more purpose than I ever had, testifying of the Savior, learning how to feel and respond to the Spirit, meeting new people every day, pushing myself to learn a new language, coming to love and care for investigators like they were my own family, laughing with companions and spending eighteen months focused more on others than myself made feeling that peace and happiness a whole lot easier. Was I a perfect missionary? Not even close. I screwed up just as much as I succeeded. It wasn't all that different from life now: when I do what I know will bring me closer to the Lord, I am a better, happier person. My mission served as the first laboratory where I experimented with that principle over and over again.
Anyway, here's a glimpse into my jumper-clad mission past.









8 comments:
I wish I had known about your mission last week while we were studying the letter Q !! We did find a Quetzal bird in a magazine...and of course, we have our quail. But we could have featured Aunt Julianne and her mission...how cool would that have been??
So glad you married my brother. Love ya Julianne!
a) I can't believe it has been 15 years! b)I love the mission clothes and c) I love hearing about your mission again. I wish I had that experience.
Julianne-I loved your clothes!!! That is where my husbands family is from (same city)and 2 years ago we were there and your pictures are making me home sick for that beautiful place. Thanks for sharing your memories and pictures.
Are you really 21 in those pictures? I wonder if I look that young in mine!! I'm only counting eight years for me though. . . give me another seven and it will be the same. :)
You summed up the joys and sorrow of my mission too. . . . funny how that is.
Awesome pictures! I had a rad red jumper too! My mission has been on my mind this week because of the earthquake in Chile.
Thanks for sharing (with awesome writing, as always!) I remember the picture of your mission on your desk at school and love to hear about it. Love the pictures too -- and the jumpers + fold-down socks!
You are so blessed with a gift for writing! Loved reading it because you beautifully expressed ALL of the things I experienced on my mission as well. Love the pictures, love the place and the fact we got to go there!
You look so young and little!
Aren't missions amazing? I've had mine on the brain lately because I'm working with a Bulgarian investigator getting baptized this Saturday. Working with him has brought back all the frustrations, and fears but also the preparation and the elation that comes with the work! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment