Sunday, March 28, 2010

Missing callings

At church today, someone mentioned going to the General Young Women Meeting last night, and I immediately felt bad for having missed it. This is the first year in over five that I have NOT gone to one of those spring broadcasts. Then I remembered that I'm not in Young Women anymore (haven't been for almost a year), which of course means I don't need to go to those meetings. You'd think that would have been a relief: "Phew! No more having to sacrifice a Saturday evening to go sit in the stake center with a bunch of teenage girls." Truthfully, however, my reaction was the opposite. I felt a bit wistful and sad.

I miss those girls. I miss the women I worked with in that calling. I miss saying the theme every Sunday during opening exercises. I miss teaching lessons. I miss listening to advisers teach lessons. I miss the girls' genuine questions about the gospel and life. Yes, I even sorta miss their texting during class. It's funny how the things that drove me crazy while I held the calling are now somewhat endearing.

Then we're driving home from church, talking about Stephen's new calling, and he tells me he feels like he did toward the end of his mission. He was in an area that he absolutely loved, training a new missionary, and thinking he would finish his last 3 months there when he was transferred to a more difficult area with a companion he previously had and was given the responsibility to help him finish his mission on a strong note. He knew he was in that last area for a reason, but that didn't stop him from missing what he'd just left. Stephen misses the young men's calling he was released from a few weeks ago. He loved working with the priests and was just starting to feel like he was really getting to know them. Alas, he's needed elsewhere. That seems to be the way callings go: the second you really love yours, it's time to move on to a different one where you can be challenged in a new way.

6 comments:

Jim and Connie Jory said...

What's Stephen's new calling?

Unknown said...

Dang. I am really not liking my calling right now. Kind of in a bad mood about the whole thing. But maybe I better hurry and LOVE it so I can move on to something else? Does it work that way?

I am grateful for callings and the challenges and blessings that come with it.

Jenae said...

yeah, what is stephen's new calling??

Melanie said...

The same thing happened to me today, too. I was in YW for about 3 1/2 years before we moved last August. When someone mentioned the broadcast last night I thought, "oh, I missed it...oh yeah it's okay." I still want to watch/read the talks though.

Julianne said...

He's in the elder's quorum presidency again.

Heidi Lyn said...

I know I'm late with this response, but I just watched the YW broadcast and it was a good one! I'm not a fan of this YW General Presidency (waaaay too cheesy) but I found that if I minimize the computer screen and just listen, I learned so much. President Uchtdorf's talk was amazing. Aren't we all still yw at heart?

As for callings? I've been in the primary presidency for a year and am still traumatized by my inadequacy. Ugh.