Some days I feel like a prisoner to my baby's naps. We completely overdid it this past weekend, so la nena has really needed some quality sleep this week. Rather than dwell on the fact that I could be out running errands or doing something fun with others, per my usual m.o., I actually stopped to smell the Stay At Home Mom flowers today. I PLAYED WITH MY KID! And liked it. Shock of shocks. I should clarify: I played with my three year old. Playing with the baby is pretty easy and natural. Playing with my older kids? A little harder to want to do these days. Once #1 and #2 started playing together a couple years ago, I kinda got used to getting things done and seemed to lose/forget the art of playing with my own children. Don't get me wrong, if my kids are in the backyard and want to play basketball or soccer or something, I'm all over it. If they come up and want to play a board game or read a book, I'm usually up for it. If they come in my bed to snuggle or hug or wrestle, sure. But get down on the floor and play with cars or trains or superheroes? I don't do that one much anymore. And they don't really ask me to do it, either. I guess they're as used to doing it with each other as I'm used to not doing it with them.
So the rare moments when I set my own, ever-growing agenda aside and actually play with independent Eli, who didn't ask me to but deep down probably needs me to, really IS a small victory for a gal like me.



4 comments:
I totally understand -- I've never had a baby that had scheduled naps until now ... and I'm not liking the trapped feeling I get. Good for you for actually playing ... good example ... I need to learn to let go and play too. Thanks for sharing.
I always ask Collette, "Can I play with you? I'll even be the Prince?" She just looks at me like I'm crazy and says, "No thanks, Mom"
Why aren't I even cool enough for my 4 year old?
I totally hear ya - I have never been too good at playing pretend with Brett or Kendra....it just doesn't feel natural to me. Then, there's your Dad -- ha, ha!!! :)
You're such a good mom! Your kids are adorable. They are growing up fast! Say hi to Sunnyvale for me.
Post a Comment