I, the mother too caught up in Christmas to properly celebrate her kid's third birthday, vow to throw him a bona fide birthday party next year.
I feel like I made this same promise last year, but now that I'm promising publicly maybe I'll actually follow through for Eli's fourth birthday. I feel bad that he watches his older brother have huge birthday festivities every October, talks about his own birthday every day for a month, and then gets the shaft because his family is too busy being busy in December. Why do I get the feeling he'll be telling his therapist this same story someday?
So there wasn't a party. But there was a cake. His first ever, I might add. I busted out the ole homemade cake and frosting recipes, along with my super rusty 9-inch round cake pans (parchment paper to the rescue). I even put some blue crystal sprinkles on top, which I bought at the store after hearing Eli tell someone he wanted "sparkles" on his cake. Thankfully I had exactly three candles left in the candle box since I forgot to pick those up, and while the frosting was a little on the runny side I don't think Eli minded.
There were also a few presents. I love new toys. The first few days are always the toy honeymoon when the boys play happily, actually sharing with each other because they're so excited to have new stuff, and they even forget about the TV for a little while. Miracle of miracles!
There was also a big package that arrived at the house with Eli's name on it. Very exciting indeed. Guess what was inside of it? The very firetruck Mr. Eli had been wanting for almost a year now. The one with the doors that open. The one with a fireman to go inside. The one that is tougher and louder and all around better than the one his older brother got from Santa last Christmas. You scored big, Granddad Jory and Connie.
And of course there were In-N-Out burgers for lunch.
Next year, however, there WILL be a party. A real one.
So there wasn't a party. But there was a cake. His first ever, I might add. I busted out the ole homemade cake and frosting recipes, along with my super rusty 9-inch round cake pans (parchment paper to the rescue). I even put some blue crystal sprinkles on top, which I bought at the store after hearing Eli tell someone he wanted "sparkles" on his cake. Thankfully I had exactly three candles left in the candle box since I forgot to pick those up, and while the frosting was a little on the runny side I don't think Eli minded.
There were also a few presents. I love new toys. The first few days are always the toy honeymoon when the boys play happily, actually sharing with each other because they're so excited to have new stuff, and they even forget about the TV for a little while. Miracle of miracles!
There was also a big package that arrived at the house with Eli's name on it. Very exciting indeed. Guess what was inside of it? The very firetruck Mr. Eli had been wanting for almost a year now. The one with the doors that open. The one with a fireman to go inside. The one that is tougher and louder and all around better than the one his older brother got from Santa last Christmas. You scored big, Granddad Jory and Connie.
And of course there were In-N-Out burgers for lunch.
Next year, however, there WILL be a party. A real one.
4 comments:
Yay for In-N-Out burgers! When we come visit, we HAVE to go there...
So glad the truck was a hit. Now we gotta get Justin to give Eli some "mad-dog" unwrapping lessons! :)
He'll be in good company with cousin "A" then...Last week, she got to have a "friend" slumber party on a "family party" year since last year Christmas and the BIG snowstorms shafted her plans for a birthday party.
Of course, she also likes the drawn-out version, where she gets something every week in December from different friends and relatives... Don't worry, It's All Good!! He's a pretty happy boy and I bet he thought his day was great!
Ah, yes! Eli got the fire truck that he's been begging you for for the past year!!!! Way to go Granddad and Connie!
I would have thought Eli would have been a natural mad-dog opener but it looks he does indeed need some training from Uncle Justin. It was fun to be able to see your tree too!
Happy Birthday Eli!
Moving on up to Sunbeams, crazy...
Post a Comment