Saturday, June 6, 2009

Our New Baby Girl

Julianne started feeling some real albeit erratic contractions early Thursday morning. This was a welcome blessing considering both our boys had to be induced, Bennett because of complications and Eli because he was having way too much fun in the womb and was a week late. So Julianne went to see her doctor on her due date Thursday June 4th at 4:30pm. She was already 4 cm dilated. After a walk and dinner at the hospital, we made our way up to Labor and Delivery at around 6:30pm with some more regular contractions underway. The doctor said she was now 5 and 1/2 cm and based on how quickly Eli came we thought it would only be an hour or two. Once Julianne climbed into the delivery room bed and started relaxing, however, the contractions tapered off. Several hours and two walks later, it appeared that labor was stalling. We decided to call it a night at 11pm and just wait it out, but the second the lights went out the contractions suddenly picked up. A little after midnight she had her water broken and after 20 minutes of very intense labor our baby girl triumphantly entered the world at 12:37am on Friday June 5th. Here she is with her victory pose:


About a day later we decided to name her Amelia Jane Geddes. It was the name we had since before Bennett was born and we came back to it full circle after dozens and dozens of others just didn't fit.


Here's the proud mom who was actually able to fulfill her goal of having a natural child birth without having to be induced and without an epidural. What a trooper!


Here is the proud papa. We like to grow them big. Bennett was 9 pound 2 ounce and 23 inches long. Eli was 10 pounds and 21 inches long. Amelia was 9 pounds 10 ounces and 21 inches long.


Here's our family photo at the hospital. Not sure why Bennett wasn't so thrilled.


But that all changed when he found out we had Stan's Donuts from just down the street on Homestead from the Santa Clara Kaiser Hospital.


She's not even 2 days old yet, but very alert.



And very affectionate.


22 comments:

kenders said...

Yayayayya! Congratulations!! I'm glad everything went well and that we get to see a picture now. :) She's adorable already.

Kim said...

That last picture is especially so cute of her. Congrats!

TheFunYam said...

She is so beautiful!! Congratulations! (especially on the natural thing--first a marathon, now this? You're killing me!)

Unknown said...

Killing me. Oh I want my new baby back. She is so darling. I love how alert she is. I love the name - I really thought of using it too. So cute. I am so proud of you for going natural. I bet you will love your recovery. I so wish I could come bring you dinner and take the boys and hold that sweetness. Love you!

Denita said...

Congrats Geddes'! I am so glad you were able to do it the way you wanted!

Becky said...

Yah!! She is beautiful, and you look great too!!

whitney said...

oh yay! she's so beautiful! she looks like a one month old... so chubby and alert and smiley! so stinkin' precious.

Jen said...

Congrats Julianne!! She is a little doll -- so alert. I can't wait to meet her!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! I love the name, I'm glad she got one:) She's so pretty. I can't wait to meet her!!
Sharon

Anna R said...

Congrats! We were patiently waiting for pictures...The kids kept saying "Awww, she's cute!"

So excited to see her...I better get working on finishing her present...although I promise she'll get it much earlier than Eli got his "baby gift"

Meghan said...

Yay Julianne!!! I am sitting here completely speechless that you had a 9 lb baby with no epidural! You are my hero. That's amazing.

I'm so glad you got to have Amelia just the way you wanted. I can't wait to meet her!

Heidi Lyn said...

She is gorgeous, all wide-eyed and snuggly! Congratulations!

*~Barbie Miller ~* said...

Congrats she's lovely!!!! Finally a little ladys joined your Family!!!

Leah Claire said...

Hooray for Amelia Jane (and Julianne). She's absolutely adorable and lucky to have such a great family!

Carmen said...

Congradulation on the new addion. She is a cutie!

Atzimba said...

FELICIDADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a joy you show in your expression. So happy for you! Congratulations.
I am soooooo happy you had the birth you wanted. It's the best. She looks very alert because of it I am sure. All those natural hormones that help a ton!!!!!
Yeah! I am super exited you guys have your princess. Great job, she is very cute!!!!!!

Camelia Bradshaw said...

She is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations! I just want to sqeeze those cheeks. Way to go mom!

Laura said...

Congrats Geddes Family!!! She is beautiful with a beautiful name! I think big babies are always cuter. They look older from the get-go :) I'm very happy to hear you got to experience labor in a different way this time. Great news all around!

Annelise Kimball said...

She is so beautiful! My babies were all big too, and I love it because they are already so chubby. You don't have to wait to kiss those chubby cheeks! So glad everything went well. Congrats!

Janet said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful and I love the name. I had no idea you had such big babies! WOW! And no epidural. You're my hero! Have fun with that cutie!

Juliann said...

Congrats! What a doll! And the name is as beautiful as she is. . .

JulieK said...

Congratulations! I'm so far behind on blogs and can't believe I'm just finally trying to catch up and missed the excitement of cute little (scratch that big) Millie. Cute baby, cute name, and cute family!