Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Don't hate me because I love real Christmas trees



I know they're not as economically smart or as environmentally friendly as those artificial ones you bend up in a box and put in your storage until next year, but I just can't give up the smell, look, and feel of a live Christmas tree. Sure, we got looks from all the hybrid-driving, green-to-the-core folks who looked at us like we were serial killers for having that tree strapped to the top of the car last weekend. All that was forgotten, however, once we were sipping hot cocoa in the glow of our tree's shiny Christmas lights, enjoying the decorations we had just put up on real branches with real needles, inhaling that heavenly scent of a freshly-cut fir.

Yes, I'll keep recycling. Yes, I'll keep using energy-saving, florescent light bulbs (even if they do drive me crazy). But give up my real tree for an artificial tree? Sorry, no can do, Al Gore.

7 comments:

Heidi Lyn said...

I didn't even realize Christmas trees were anti-environment! How naive am I? Well, enjoy your pine scented home. Isn't this season amazing?

Anonymous said...

we're getting our tree today- which is why I'm not at park day. I'm cleaning all the nook and crannies (I normally ignore) and moving furniture around so it can fit in our minuscule place. Gotta love the fresh scent of pine! By-the-way I LOVE the new look of your blog.

Anonymous said...

Get this. Scott and I are both allergic to Christmas trees. We can be in the room with one for too long or our throats start to close up and are noses and eyes run. Pathetic. Otherwise we would totally have a real Christmas tree. I agree that the scent and the feel of the tree are such key parts of the season. You enjoy that tree for me and Scott and our poor kids that get robbed of the experience.

kenders said...

I feel the same way. I love fresh Christmas trees! :)

Jim and Connie Jory said...

So were you getting your real tree and sipping your hot chocolate in 70 degree weather? ha, ha. Yes, we are still doing real trees and probably always will....

Pinky Homer said...

You, Evil You! ... what's funny is that I watched Oprah the other day and Al Gore was there talking about being green ... I didn't watch much but the part I watched he was talking how one year he tried to plant his Christmas tree to save it but it didn't work... Then he suggested recycle the tree ... make it into wood chips ... so as long as you do that he may forgive you!

Anonymous said...

Listen, I love the planet as much as the next person, but sometimes the only cup available is a styrafoam one. And I'll tell you one thing, when I am drinking my high sugar, high calorie Dr. Pepper in my cup, I'm thinking "Mmmm, this is delicious." Sometimes you just want something without feeling guilty about it. So, suck it Al Gore! Rock on real Christmas trees!! love Lizzy