Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mighty proud of myself



I'm sure this is no big feat to most people out there, but I am feeling pretty good about myself for having dinner cooking on the stove right now. After three months of avoiding all things connected to the kitchen, especially at the dinner hour since I always get queasy from precisely 3pm to bedtime ("evening seasickness") during trimester uno, I am proud to announce that home-cooked meals are slowly making a comeback. By no means am I back to weekly menus or monthly meal plans. Simple and typically last-minute, but hey, it's a home-cooked meal.

Stephen and our food budget are silently rejoicing, I'm sure, as the fast food visits diminish from daily to weekly. Hopefully all of our bodies will also rejoice as vegetables make their way back into our diets; I hate the way I detest what's best for me when I'm pregnant... I'm sure the boys are just happy to be eating something other than frozen Costco food for dinner, most of which we cycled through to the point of tired tedium. Seriously, how many frozen burritos or pot stickers can you stand?

Anyway, the boys are so excited to smell jambalaya cooking tonight (Leah, I still use and love the recipe you gave me in college) they can hardly stand it. And I am excited to cook raw meat without feeling my stomach turn! Ah, blessed second trimester sunshine. Shine on.

8 comments:

kenders said...

Glad you can cook again.

Anonymous said...

Yea, Julianne! I don't think you'll be giving up all that junk food yet though- you still have all the holiday yumminess coming up. . .

Unknown said...

Hey - NO FAIR. I love Leah's jambalaya and she never gave me the recipe.

Congrats on being able to cook again. Morning sickness is not a good thing.

Lindsay said...

I just saw your blog from Meghan's. Congrats on the forthcoming baby! I had no idea you were pregnant. Glad you're feeling better also.

Anonymous said...

I had to catch up on the blog, when I got your Christmas card! This resonated with me. Why did McDonalds cheese burgers and fries sound good to me when I was preganant with Riley. I was soooo sick all of the time. Chicken--never thought I would eat a single bite or smell it or see the fleshy meat again IN MY LIFE! I think I overcompensated, but truely ENJOYED brussel sprouts during the same pregnancy. Again, it felt good to put a veggie in my body, but that was the craving - Brussel Sprouts!!?? Glad you are shining on in the 2nd trimester--you go mama!

Jim and Connie Jory said...

Julianne -- I need that Jambalaya recipe! love ya, -- Connie

Leah Claire said...

Julianne--I'm so glad that jambalaya made the tremendous honor of being on your cooking comeback! And even happier that you are starting to feel better. Loves!

Anonymous said...

i think the archive you wirte is very good, but i think it will be better if you can say more..hehe,love your blog,,,