Thursday, August 14, 2008

What Broken Collarbone?














So much for four weeks of wearing a sling. Bennett was using his arm and shoulder within about ten days of the original break. I felt a little guilty for not making him wear it-- doctor's instructions, after all-- but since he didn't seem to really need it. . . well, I just stopped fighting him on it. I also had some concerns about the big bump that had formed on his collarbone, right above the break; paranoid mother that I am, I jumped to the conclusion that it hadn't healed properly and that the doctor would tell us he'd have to re-break the bone OR Benito would have to do physical therapy for years OR it would just be deformed. So much for college, career, and family; my child would be ringing bells at Notre Dame for the rest of his life. Ridiculous and completely irrational, I know.

Needless to say, I'm an idiot and none of that happened. The bone healed perfectly and Bennett has the green light for swimming, soccer, extreme scootering, and all his other favorite activities. The doctor said the bump is perfectly normal and will eventually go away. I can't remember what it's called, something that starts with cal-, so I'm going to assume it's the calcium build-up my brother Justin was telling me happened with his broken foot.

Oddly enough, Bennett loved the x-rays. If I were a three yr old kid walking into a dark room with a moving table and some huge, evasive camera moving around my body, I don't think excitement would be my first reaction. Who am I to think I understand my kid, though? B. smiled and laughed, comfortable as could be, and even obediently held still when asked. Hilarious. And exactly what I needed at that moment, since I was still fuming from having to wait an hour for what was supposed to take five minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude I love the pics- Bennett looks so chill, like he's kicking back at the beach!

Jenae said...

Classic photos of little B lounging on the x-ray table! What a cutie, have him say teradactyl for me!