
Does anyone else share my addiction? Staying up way too late every night to watch the "good parts" of the Olympics, only to wake up the next day and pay the price with all-day exhaustion and regret? I am a walking zombie these days. I've watched more than one friend double-take at my eyes; these red, puffy slits have dark bags that are getting more than a little scary and Cullen-esque. And let's face it, any semblance of morning routine has all but fallen to the wayside. Adios to exercise and peaceful scripture study and pleasant interaction with my spouse and children. They've been replaced by pillow-over-the-head attempts at sleep, silent curses for Eli's early-morning exuberance, and grouchy commands from bed.
The first night or two, we tried taping the "live" coverage--I'm still bitter about the lies that Matt Lauer and Bob Costas have been feeding me--only to have all results and scores smack us right in the face the next morning. All suspense completely shot. Not only that, but how were we ever going to find the time to catch up on all that we hadn't watched yet when there's always more on to watch the next night? Dilemmas. So we, more accurately I, succumbed and started staying up until 1:30 am to watch the climactic moments of tense competition.
Love, love, love watching it all. Hate, hate, hate myself the next day.
4 comments:
Amen!!! You are definitely not alone. I LOVE LOVE LOVE watching the Olympics. Luckily we have DVR so we tape EVERYTHING and skip that parts we don't like. Otherwise I would be soooo mad that I had to teach and miss the Olympics. I always wish they happened in July instead of August. Can't they change that? :)
I have the same addiction. I did end up taping a lot and then watching in the morning "comatose" hours "with" Ethan. He points at the TV and says "pool", that's how much swimming I made the poor kid watch. Several times I had things spoiled for me as I was getting out of my email, that darn MSN!I am less into it now that Phelps' swims are over though.
Can I just say how much we have LOVED living close to the Canadian border during "Olympics watching season".
The CBC coverage was AWESOME!!
All the events we loved to watch
(swimming, volleyball, fencing, gymnastics +more++) were all on earlier than the NBC coverage and the info/commentary was MUCH better than Bob Costas!!!
YEA Canada!!
(although we might feel differently in 2010 as we have all the traffic going past our area on their way up to the Olympics in Vancouver...Mike talked about taking Christian up there to watch curling since its only 1-1/2 hr drive. Curling is Christian's favorite Olympic sport...)
I think I almost gave my kids heart attacks the first time they heard me "cheering"/screaming at a swimming final. And yes, we were Michael Phelps groupies...but we loved all the swimming...we watched every women's event too.
Ashlyn totally reminded me of Natalie Coughlin the other day at swim lessons- totally swimming up next to the lane line while doing backstroke...TOO CUTE!
I totally agree Julianne! Eric and I have been up much too late the past two nights with the beach volleyball finales. They were awesome!!!
I do have to comment though that most of my mornings, even without the Olympics, sound like your Olympics-mornings. :) Eric usually retrieves Luke from bed while I pull the pillow over my head and pretend to still be sleeping. I'll have to take lessons on your early-morning habits . . . after the Olympics are over.
Post a Comment