Thursday, August 21, 2008

Died and gone to halibut heaven



I realize these aren't pictures of halibut. This is what came after we grilled and ate the most deliciously perfect halibut I have ever tasted in my fish-eating life. Stephen's parents have a neighbor who generously passed along some fish he recently caught in Alaska, so they came over this past weekend to generously share some with us. Stephen put on a simple marinade of fresh basil, garlic, and butter a few hours before, nothing too fancy, but we all experienced the same nirvana at the dinner table. That filet was so tender and so fresh, I couldn't believe it. Melt-in-your-mouth good. Way better than any fish I've ever eaten in any restaurant.

The five star halibut was followed by good times with "Ga-ma" and "Ba-pa" as Eli calls them, and some quality slam dunks and soccer with Aunt Kymber. We watched bits and pieces of the women's Olympic marathon (rock on for the 38 yr old mom who won) while playing good ole Phase Ten and Rummikub. Kymber is always up for a good game and always willing to help me try and beat down Stephen's inflated board game ego, two things I totally dig about her.

Oh, did I mention that we topped off dinner with a tasty dessert? Darn, I really wish I had taken a picture of this one because it was so pretty to look at, thanks to Stephen's mom who reminded me to invert the pan. I think I'm always too hungry to remember to take pictures of food. Anyway, I tried a plum upside-down cake with some red plums we needed to use, and it turned out pretty darn tasty for being so simple a recipe. I'll try and remember to post the recipe on the side in case anyone's interested in trying it.

2 comments:

kenders said...

How fun! And thanks for the pics! :)

Denita said...

Tag you are it!