
Sorry it's a little fuzzy... but you get the idea. I'm running my first half-marathon in a few weeks and can't wait to cross the finish line (assuming I make it that far, that is)!
13.1 miles can be pretty daunting to a novice runner like me, especially one whose training was interrupted for a month, but the physical and mental challenge of it all has proven to be oddly intoxicating. A once-upon-a-time athlete (ha ha! maybe athlete is too strong a word for someone who played high school basketball and tennis), I'd forgotten how it feels to push my body and my will beyond perceived capacity. Super scary, but also super exhilarating.
Running with friends helps take away some of that scary. I mentally wear down much faster when I run by myself... so doing the long runs together keeps me talking and distracted. Somehow I don't think I would have pulled off ten or eleven miles on my own... Saturday night, post-run, group therapy isn't bad either: there's nothing like ice cream and Julie's hot tub to take away all those aches and pains.
I don't call myself a runner--I'm pretty sure you have to do it more than three months at a time to be one of those--but for right now I'm loving it. It's one of the few things in my life that I do for me and me alone. And while every run still scares me a little... I know it'll be worth it.
8 comments:
i'm so excited for you! i've run a few myself...in fact I got good old adam to run the provo half with me last year. these races are so addicting and wonderful. there is nothing like being with a large group--it's powerful.
which race is it?
GOOD LUCK!
That is awesome. Leah just ran one this last weekend. You guys are impressive. I was pretty stoked when I ran 2 miles. I have a long way to go.
I am SO impressed. You are definitely motivating me to try something new for a workout and push myself more!You're going to finish and do awesome!
Wow! You go girl! I run for 10 minutes on the treadmill and my head starts thumping. You are my idol! Good luck!!
All I have to say is, speed walking!!! See you there.
love
Lizzy
Good luck!!! I still can't believe you're doing it, but it'll be great! You're awesome! :)
Well, I read through your blog...wow, do I feel caught up! Whew and the half marathon, still intrigues and taunts me. How did it go?? So proud of you!
Rachel
I am SO proud of you - that's my girl! Mom
Post a Comment