The once gold-rich mountains
that turned Juneau into a mining town
The famous Gold Rush saloon
that has Wyatt Earp's gun behind the bar
Mendenhall Glacier, near Juneau
200 ft. high, 3 miles wide, 12 miles long
Fall colors and ice on Mendenhall Lake
Ah, Edward... the book that almost was
Good times at Red DogYet another strikingly beautiful Alaska town--town to us, city/capital to them--cradled by those tall, tree-covered mountains that were fast becoming my favorite Alaskan shoreline feature. We headed out to see Mendenhall Glacier first thing, came back to walk around town, and then hurried back for one of the excursions we were most excited about--a float-plane over Juneau's Ice Field, including five of its glaciers. It sounded amazing, but we worried as the morning wore on and the clouds didn't lift. Would we be able to see anything? Or would it just be one really expensive flight through a bunch of clouds? Sure enough, by the time we made it back to the dock for our meeting time, they told us it was canceled. Still available, however: dog sledding camp.
Funny sidenote: some of our friends went to visit the lipstick-wearing governor's mansion in Juneau and told us that both neighboring houses have Obama signs in their yards. Our friends took a picture of it. We just laughed.
3 comments:
You guys look so happy on vacation! :)
So cool to see pix of things that I have heard of for so long. Your pictures are convinving me that Alaska is definitely a trip-worthy place to go visit.
Wow! I love that we can be connected this way! I love seeing you having fun with your hubby in your vacation pix and your cute boys. I'm so excited to feel like part of your family once again! The only reason I know about mushers, their lingo and their great obedient dogs is b/c Mario was once a "Balto" movie addict and off course I had to sit through it all! I wish I could've learned the way you did! Love the puppies!
Post a Comment