Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bedtime Prayer of a 3 year old

"Dear Heavenly Father,
Grateful for this day...
Bless us to be good... and kind...
that I can be kind to my brother...
Bless us to be careful...
that I can not fall and hurt my knee at Truman's park...
Bless me to get brownies and (voice begins to waver here) obey Mommy.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."


Can you tell that Bennett lost treats tonight for not listening to me? It sounded so hard for him to utter those words, "obey Mommy," as if it's the ultimate sacrifice of will. It is seriously so hard not to laugh sometimes. I do love that he prays for kindness, however, especially with his brother. (Please, let that prayer be heard!!)

Did I mention that he broke his collarbone on our trip to Jackson Hole? Thus the whole "careful" comment, since I spend the whole day reminding him to be careful. He was wrestling with his cousins and took an awkward fall, and after some x-rays at Aunt Lizzy's hospital in SLC, he was given a sling to wear for 4 long weeks. The poor kid moped around our backyard for days, unable to do just about anything he was used to doing back there (scooters, bikes, slides, swings). But now, two weeks later, the sling is just a bizarre-looking accessory that just sits on his shoulder, not really holding his arm at all, serving no real function other than my desperate hope that it will stop him from couch-jumping and tree-climbing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Does that mean you drove through SLC and I didn't see you? I am sure it was crazy but it has been TOO long! Wish I could get away and I would come your way.

Denita said...

Poor Bennett! a broken collarbone can't be fun! I have friends whose son broke his when he was younger and they said the sling doesn't work. They had to make him wear long sleeves and pin the wrist to the chest. Good luck with that!

kenders said...

I love his prayers! They're always so honest. :) I can't believe he broke his collarbone! That's got to hurt. Is it a lot better now? Did Stephen freak out? I can't remember is that his first major medical thing?

Alisa said...

I love it when you post his prayers. There's so much to them. Half the time my kids bless the food and that's it in their nighttime prayers. That's a good talent he's got there.