Thursday, May 24, 2007

Daily Darwinism

It's survival of the fittest around our house these days, or at least every time poor Eli is left alone with Bennett. Yesterday marked the climax in a series of abusive events that Baby Eli has suffered at the hand of his older brother. While I was unpacking the frozen groceries in the kitchen (we had just come home from the store), I heard Bennett laughing and Eli wimpering out on the patio. Nothing strange about that: Eli was sitting in his stroller and Benito was supposedly playing basketball and riding his trike. I figured Eli wanted out of his stroller and Bennett was performing his usual antics for his baby brother. Not quite. I walked out to check on them and found Eli flat on his back on the cement of our front patio. "What happened?!" "I slide Eli out of stroller" was the nonchalant response I received from Bennett. "Did he fall down?!!" "Yeah, he bonked" as he tosses another ball into the basket. Aaaaaaah!! I'm still not sure why Eli didn't cry, and thankfully there was no concussion or anything serious, but 'Good grief, Charlie Brown.' The poor kid now sports bite marks on his arm, squeeze welts on his leg, and now a bump on his head. We may have to remove the toddler from the island before our baby becomes extinct!

No comments: