I had a few activities for the kids. They could test their strength by carrying a small load of firewood attached to a head strap, just like the Guatemalans do (with about ten times the weight, of course). They could strap a baby doll on their back with a blanket, just like the Guatemalan mothers do, to keep their hands free for doing work. I also had copies of the Guatemalan flag for coloring. Or they could make a worry doll, a small wooden doll that you tuck under your pillow at night. You tell it your worry before bed and the doll will help ease your burden while you sleep, per Guatemalan superstition. The worry dolls were a hit, to say the least! I was busy helping kids the whole two hours, so much so I didn't even get to walk around to see all the other countries' tables.
I also made some crock pot black beans and corn tortillas for people to eat. Thankfully, Stephen came with me and manned the beans while Benito stamped the kids' passports. It turned out to be a family affair and one of my favorite school events of the whole school year.





6 comments:
Looks like you did an awesome job! Wish I could have been there to make a doll and try out the firewood trick.
Me too, sis, me too!
Way to go Julianne! This sounds like an awesome station for a great school event!!!
Aww! you made me home sick! I think you have more stuff than I do from Guate. I loved your ideas for the games -- so creative! BTW we are really excited because my nephew just got called there!
No way, Pinky--that is so exciting!! I got to pull my stuff out again the other night for a Relief Society activity, and it made me miss Guate all over again. Must get back there!
Post a Comment