Sunday, August 25, 2013

Cub Camping

Summer = no scouts.
I didn't know that.  I guess I assumed it was year-round.
We got a break from the Wednesday night madness for a few months,
although I must confess I sort of missed it (for Benito).
 
Those clairvoyant scout leaders knew I would feel this way
and planned a family campout for August
to bring back that scouting feeling.
 
We went up early to do some hiking and hang out.
 

Let's go climb a tree

and monkey around

and sit on logs

and stand on stumps

and cozy up for kid photography

and carry javelin-length sticks on the trail

and get all zen mid-hike

and hide under a huge tree

and be rewarded with a view of the ocean at the end of the hike

Can't quite see the ocean?

How 'bout now?  Yeah, it's a pretty small glimpse, but it's there.

"We survived a long hike with three kids who whined the first half-mile!"


Once the other families came up that evening the real fun began:
campfires, hot dogs, s'mores, friends to burn stuff with
and run around and get filthy with, lessons, foxes boldly running
in and out of our campsites, jokes, stories, stargazing.


Hanging around with Daddy

Morning campfire (again with Daddy; Mommy's asleep in the tent)

The next morning brought more fun:
yummy breakfast cooked by the leaders, rope lashing and lessons,
super fun obstacle courses, short hikes, playing, playing, playing.



Our competitive cub waiting for a turn on the obstacle course

Gratuitous nature shot
because you know my husband has our camera full of shots just like this

2 comments:

Jim and Connie Jory said...

fun times!!

Jenae said...

makes me want to go camping! looks like it was a blast.