Sunday, June 5, 2011

Look who's two

The birthday cake is baking, the birthday girl is napping, and the birthday party at the grandparents' house is approaching. Meanwhile, the birthday girl's parents can't believe how fast our baby is becoming less and less of a baby.

Can it really be two years since she entered the world in her surprisingly gigantic glory? Well, we weren't too surprised after two other big babies, but the doctors who were "positive" she wouldn't weigh more than seven pounds sure got a shock when out rolled our 9 lb. 8 oz. butterball. Or two years since her calm, newborn spirit made both of us feel like we should toss out the names we'd been considering and go back to one we'd picked five years earlier (when we were so sure Bennett would be a girl)? Or two years since she turned her little head away from nursing to hear the music on a TV commercial we were watching in the hospital?  Or two years since she met her two crazy older brothers, who were quite honestly more excited to eat Stan's donuts than do anything else in that hospital room, including see their baby sister or hug their exhausted mom?

Amelia Jane, please stop growing up.  Right now.  That's an order.








6 comments:

Denita said...

Pretty crazy huh? I can't believe my little guy will be 3 at the beginning of next school year. Sadly he's the baby and he knows it. Trying to break myself and him of some pretty bad habits.

Happy Birthday Millie, and yes, please stop growing up!

Debbi said...

I love that picture of her laying in the grass "writing" - such a big girl! Happy Birthday Millie!

Jenae said...

her little blonde curls and bangs are killing me they are so cute. SHE is so cute. I love the pics of her Jul-like behavior (checking out tennis racquets and lying on the grass soaking up the rays while writing). We love you Millie!

Jim and Connie Jory said...

Such a doll! Kendra and I were just saying we can't believe she's two!! (Kendra will have such a blast with her at the reunion...) I laughed at the "stop growing" comments. I say that to Kendra weekly....STILL!! :)

Heidi Lyn said...

So sweet . . . Happy Birthday! I love how you shared all those intimate anecdotes too.

Laura said...

Can you believe it's been two years since we've had our babies??!! Unbelievable! There's quite a sense of bitter sweet knowing Gabe is the last. I sure am trying to enjoy it. He's already started the assertive 2's and I'm not even upset by it. Yet.