Friday, April 1, 2011

Renters No More...

We took a big step today. We've been searching for a home on the down low for a while now. My good fortune came when I was talking to an elderly woman at the Sunnyvale train station waiting for the train to work. I ended up talking about our family and 3 kids and then she asked if I knew anyone that was looking for a home to buy. I told her we were, but we probably couldn't afford anything in our current area. Then out of the blue she said, "Today's your lucky day. I am getting older and have no surviving family. I have a family home that my father built in 1908. Turns out it has been on the market for quite some time--almost a year. It is a 7 bedroom 3 bath house that is split in two. The asking price was $998,800. She lowered it to $500,000 with one caveat. It is a Colonial Revival Historical home on 297 Charles St. in Sunnyvale. So in order to maintain the historical status of the home I have to give tours one weekend a month. We will get a very small stipend from the city of Sunnyvale for the upkeep and publicity of the home---$10,000 a year. We would be responsible for the rest of the upkeep of the home.
It is super close to the train station, so it's a short walk. Sweet! We will be staying in the 5 bedroom portion of the house and our new friend will be living in the 2 bedroom side house until she can make plans to go out in style. Apparently she has been saving up for a trip around the world with a senior citizens group and then will be living in a group home. Pretty cool way to go if you ask me.



Anyway, we plan to move in sometime in June if all goes well. We would love for you to come by sometime to pay us a visit. And I really mean pay. It's $1 per person for admission. You'll get the full tour along with the detailed scoop on the history of Sunnyvale.









And for those of you who haven't caught on to my tomfoolery.....






It's APRIL FOOLS DAY!!!





Stephen :)



12 comments:

Camille said...

I have known the Jory's for about 32 years and have loved watching your family and reading the posts and this year I made your blog the first one I looked at so I could see your joke of the year!!! LOVE THEM!!!! Thanks for being a jokester I love them.

Denita said...

Dang it Stephen!! You get me every year. I am way too gullible!

But seriously, are you really looking to buy a house?

Pinky Homer said...

You know how to make it sound so real! My sister didn't get me today, so I guess you had to be the one.

G&G said...

We enjoyed your email. The house is a lot like your great grandparent's home at 201 Waverly Street in Palo Alto. Of course, the home is gone and now the land is a public park.I walked up and down steps like those for some sixteen years. Have a great day. We look forward to your April Fool's Day creativity each year. Love, Dad

Eliza said...

You had such a good one last year and I was looking forward to this year's joke.

Anna R said...

I was waiting for today's post...another fun read. :)

Jen said...

Wow. . . wouldn't that be great though!

Troy said...

Well played, my brother, well played.

Laura said...

Had to check today, Ben and I love seeing your prank every year!

Unknown said...

Oy. I'm ashamed to say I have fallen for it again!

Afton said...

I love how thought out this was, such a good story!

Jim and Connie Jory said...

Brett was on the computer on April 1 and yelled to us - "Mom, Dad - Jul and Stephen bought a house!" I immediately said: "Brett? What day is it?" ha, ha - you got him though....