Sunday, March 27, 2011

Going it alone

I did it.  I survived one week without my husband.  I'm not saying I want to repeat it anytime soon, but for somebody who relies on her husband a WHOLE lot, I'm pretty proud that the kids, the house, the car and I were all in one piece when Stephen walked through the door Saturday night. 

Lessons learned while flying solo:

1. Not cooking dinner makes all the difference.  Left-overs, frozen food, and eating out were this single mom's best friend.

2. Child #3 is an octupus that I never want to bathe again.  Stephen and I have long held the after-dinner tradition of my doing kitchen duty and his doing bath duty.  With the boys taking their own showers these days and only Millie to clean, I've been feeling like maybe our little arrangement is a little unfair.  "Here I am washing allll these dishes, while all he has to do is wash one kid."  Wrong, wrong, wrong was I.  I'll take dishes over Millie's bath any day.  That child nearly drowned herself and cracked her head open within the span of about thirty seconds.  She's excited to the point of insanity--flipping around like a fish, sticking her head in the water, flinging herself back in the tub! 

3. I like not waking up to an alarm at 6:00 every morning.

4. I do not like sleeping alone.

5. Scheduling fun stuff with friends is, well, a lot of fun, and shouldn't be reserved for only when Stephen's out of town.

6. Dealing with a sickie, and most especially a sickie who's thrown up on himself, without his daddy around to help and comfort him makes for one very sad boy.  Poor Eli.

7.  I need to be more thankful for a loyal husband who loves and dedicates himself to home and family the way Stephen does.  Sometimes I forget just how lucky I am.



Look at this gal, ready to go with her shoes, purse, baby hat (where did she find that thing?) and ball
  


5 comments:

Jim and Connie Jory said...

Really? You were single mom for a week? I had no idea! I would LOVE to watch (not give...) Millie taking a bath - sounds hilarious! And Eli takes a shower on his own now? I'm very impressed....

Eliza said...

What a crazy/adventurous week. One of my big fears in life is of being alone. I wouldn't like to have Brent gone for a whole week.

Kuddos to you for managing it all!

Paula's Place said...

Yeah, I know ALL about being a single mom and want to forget it! Ha! This shot of Millie (OUT of the tub) is absolutely adorable! She's growing so fast! :) Mom

Melanie said...

An octopus! Oh, that's hilarious, and probably hilarious because it is to true! My little one is very similar!

Alisa said...

When Scott leaves I let one boy a night spend the night with me. We stay up a teeny bit later and just have a sleepover. I really hate sleeping alone.