Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Just call me Rosie

I was talking to another parent at school yesterday when he unknowingly made my day. Benito and his friends were busy playing, while Eli and Millie sleepily observed from the double stroller since most days I have to wake them up from their naps to go get B. I was explaining this to the curious dad who wondered why they were wrapped in blankets and looking rather drowsy, when he commented on how amazed he is that we even have three kids. He kind of shook his head in what I thought was a "you must be crazy" kind of way, and then asked, "Do you have help?" When I responded no, he looked genuinely shocked as he told me he couldn't imagine having three kids without help at home. "How do you do it? was his final question, and in that little moment I felt as strong and capable as ole Rosie the Riveter with her war-time muscles and confidence.

I spend so much time worrying about how much more I should be doing as a mother that there's not a lot of emotional space for validation. And yet here was someone I hardly know telling me something I should deeply know: Being a mom of three kids is hard work, I should be proud of myself for doing it, and in the fearless words of Rosie, "I/WE (to all you other moms out there) CAN DO IT!"

4 comments:

Jen said...

Amen, Julianne, amen.

Heidi said...

I second that amen!

Laura said...

I often get the hands down praising, "I'm not worthy" when I tell people I have 4 kids. And I did it in 5 1/2 years. So, this was a nice blog post to read. Because 99% of the time, I'm thinking about all the things that I don't do as a Mom. Thanks, Julianne. You ARE a great Mom. Keep up the good work.

Pinky Homer said...

I've had same type of conversations that make me feel like super woman. And yet, I see that they see me as CRAZY! hehehe I'm grateful for those conversations because they give me the encouragement I need to keep plotting along and also make me realize that I'm doing what is right in having the family Heavenly Father wants me to have despite what the world thinks. Way to go, Jules!