Of the 1,300 plus songs I have on my iTunes, the following are my favorites. This is not my top 100 songs of all time or even my top 100 songs played on iTunes. Just simply my favorites on my iTunes right now. Check out the playlist below for a sample.
1) Back in Black by AC/DC (All time best rock song period!)
2) Spiritual by Johnny Cash (All time best gospel song)
3) Old Man by Neil Young (Classic Neil Young)
4) Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love by Van Halen (Needs to be cranked to 11!)
5) Beat It by Michael Jackson (loved the video as a kid, best guitar riff)
6) Beat on the Brat by The Ramones (best thing that happened from my scouting days was being introduced to their music—so catchy)
7) The Trooper by Iron Maiden (whenever I need to get my metal on at work, this always does the trick)
8) Creaping Death by Metallica (Best metal song with a Biblical theme)
9) Know Your Enemy by Rage Against the Machine (Another pump you up song along with help from Tool’s lead singer)
10) China Girl by David Bowie (favorite Bowie song since I was a kid)
11) Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N’ Roses (couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve cranked this song since it came out in ’87)
12) Paradise City by GNR (frequent whiplashes from head banging to this song when I was a teenager—all worth it)
13) Civil War by GNR (what we’ve got here is an awesome song with a Cool Hand Luke intro)
14) You Could Be Mine by GNR (catch the theme yet? Can’t wait to find out what Axl does with Chinese Democracy)
15) Bullet with Butterfly Wings by The Smashing Pumpkins (biggest mosh pit I have ever scene was at a concert during this song)
16) Don’t Stop Believing by Journey (I fell in love with this song at a birthday party when I was 8)
17) Easy Lover by Phil Collins (this song just makes me smile)
18) Panama by Van Halen (learn your geography through rock songs)
19) Skin O’ My Teeth by Megadeth (who is better, Megadeth or Metallica? I actually debated this with my last missionary companion. He warmed me up to Dave Mustaine)
20) Burning Down the House by Talking Heads (always reminds me of playing with a neighbor girl who had leukemia when I was a kid. Strange huh?)
21) If You Want Blood by AC/DC (old school with Bon Scott—yeah!)
22) Ice Cream Man by Van Halen (guilty pleasure of a song—just don’t read between the lines. It’ll ruin any song. Just ask my wife.)
23) We’re Going To Be Friends by The White Stripes (before Napoleon Dynamite and Jack Johnson there were the White Stripes. Get to know them.)
24) Anyway You Want It by Journey (another Classic)
25) Pachelbel’s Canon by Bach (best classical song ever, made famous by youtube phenoms)
26) Banquet by Bloc Party (great Brittish band that I just discovered last year)
27) Lullaby by The Cure (best Goth band ever)
28) Changes by David Bowie (another Classic)
29) Battery by Metallica (this song could lead to damage. Watch out)
30) Communication Breakdown by Led Zeppelin (Great rock song)
31) Havana Affair by The Ramones (love the lyrics)
32) James Bond Theme From “Dr. No” by John Barry (best Bond theme song ever)
33) A Secret Place by Megadeth (I love the live version)
34) Jet Boy by New York Dolls (my favorite from this New York punk band)
35) Controversy by Prince (best musician/performer. Julianne and I saw him in San Jose when pregnant with Bennett and loved this song)
36) Tangerine by Led Zeppelin (Big Head Todd and the Monsters does a really good cover of this song)
37) Jessie’s Girl by Rick Springfield (this song gets play everywhere)
38) Billie Jean by Michael Jackson (another fun one to sing along to)
39) Blood Too Hot by Scorpions (true Scorpions songs really appreciate this song)
40) Exodus by Bob Marley and The Wailers (I traded a missionary this tape in Spanish for a tie close to the end of my mission)
41) Kiss On My List by Hall & Oats (I really don’t know if I listened to this song more when it first came out or after I got married)
42) I’ve Been Everywhere by Johnny Cash (probably one of his most popular songs)
43) Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth (this is actually my most listened to song on my iTunes—a metal classic)
44) Sussudio by Phil Collins (this song normally gets ripped on VH1, but it has sentimental value to me, so give it a rest)
45) Bullet in The Head by Rage Against the Machine (my favorite band in college, Chump, did an awesome clean cover of this one. Pure moshing delight!)
46) For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica (third best intro to a song next to Back in Black and Crazy Train)
47) Helicopter by Bloc Party (this song is supposedly about George W. Bush, but don’t believe the hype)
48) Redemption Song by Bob Marley (have no fear for Atomic energy!)
49) Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones (Hey Ho, Let’s Go. I love singing this one)
50) Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes (this song made me a huge fan of Jack and Meg)
51) Upside Down by Jack Johnson (I love this album cause adults and little kids alike can listen to it)
52) Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne (this song is played way too much at sporting events, otherwise it would be much higher on my list)
53) Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You Tonight by Spinal Tap (If you haven’t yet seen the mockumentary, Spinal Tap, go put it at the top of your Netflix queue. A little bit of swearing though, so it earns it’s R rating)
54) Just Like Heaven by The Cure (I love singing along to this one. My wife’s favorite too.)
55) All My Love by Led Zeppelin (I am sure this is on quite a few wedding cds)
56) Is This Love by Bob Marley (this is a great pick me up song—just sit back on a beach and relax)
57) Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics (perhaps the greatest song made with synthesizers)
58) When Doves Cry by Prince (loved this song since I was a kid, although the video is a little freaky)
59) Bombtrack by Rage Against the Machine (burn burn, yes ya gonna burn)
60) Abracadabra by Steve Miller Band (this reminds me of going to the Exploratorium in San Francisco in the 6th grade to play with all the science stuff)
61) Cold Beverage by G. Love & Special Sauce (became a G. Love fan my senior year in college thanks to my roommates)
62) Teenage Lobotomy by The Ramones (this one really gets stuck in your head)
63) Tank Park Salute by Billy Bragg (became a fan of Billy Bragg because of Wilco. He’s a passionate singer/songwriter)
64) Like I Love You by Justin Timberlake (trust me, I hate the boy band thing, but this album rocks)
65) Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin (an epic song that’s actually short)
66) Family by Zach Gill & Jack Johnson (just recently discovered this one and really like it)
67) Round and Round by Ratt (all praise to the hair bands, even if they are one hit wonders)
68) Is It Just Me by The Darkness (gotta love the falsetto voice and power chords)
69) Out of Touch by Hall & Oates (ok, this is really a chicks song, but it’s so dang catchy)
70) Rock With You by Michael Jackson (when MJ actually liked girls)
71) Rock You Like a Hurricane by Scorpions (great German engineering)
72) Jump by Van Halen (I always wish I could jump like David Lee Roth)
73) A Forest by The Cure (don’t run in to these trees)
74) Run to The Hills by Iron Maiden (Run to the hills, Run for your life!)
75) Don’t Let It Bring You Down by Neil Young (a great song by a legend)
76) Inbetween Days by The Cure (I love this song)
77) Growing on Me by The Darkness (the band broke up too early. They could have produced so much more)
78) Rebel Rebel by David Bowie (your face is a mess)
79) Psycho Killer by Talking Heads (I really think David Byrne is a psycho killer)
80) A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) by Megadeth featuring Cristina Scabbia (don’t speak French, but I love this song)
81) Readymade by Red Hot Chili Peppers (another catchy Peppers tune)
82) Patience by GNR (my favorite song to whistle to. You don’t even have to be good at it)
83) Let’s Dance by The Ramones (Hey baby won’t you take a chance?)
84) Dawn of the Dead by Does It Offend You, Yeah? (cool new song by cool new band)
85) I Don’t Want To Live On The Moon by Ernie from Sesame Street (whether a parent or a kid, this is the best Sesame Street song ever)
86) Drive My Car by The Donnas (great cover of the Beatles song)
87) Crazy In Love by Beyonce featuring Jay-Z (your not going to see much hip hop on this list, but for some strange reason I love this song)
88) Blue Orchid by The White Stripes (Pure Jack White genius)
89) With My Own Two Hands by Jack Johnson featuring Ben Harper (I should really have more Ben Harper on my iTunes)
90) Block Rockin’ Beats by The Chemical Brothers (not a big fan of the brothers, but I like this one)
91) Black Capricorn Day by Jamiroquai (great live song)
92) Here Comes The Rain Again by Eurythmics (the music memory often kicks in this song when it rains)
93) Alison by Elvis Costello (my favorite Elvis Costello song for the moment, although there’s many to choose from)
94) The Chauffeur by Duran Duran (one of the darker songs from this very poppy group)
95) And She Was by Talking Heads (I love David Bryne’s voice. It’s so distinct)
96) Ecstatic by Rusted Root (not really sure how to define their music, but this is a great song)
97) Waiting For a Girl Like You by Foreigner (sometimes you just need a good hair band ballad)
98) Walken by Wilco (I’m not a fan of some of Wilco’s stuff, but I really love this song. Discovered them from a friend’s wedding cd)
99) Symphony No. 4 in A Major, Op. 90 “Italian IV” by Leonard Bernstein; New York Philharmonic (power classical music)
100) Unchained by Van Halen (Change, Nothin’ stays the same!)



3 comments:
My heart is a little sad that "Pour Some Sugar On Me" didn't make the cut . . .Oh the fun times we had at band practice!
Back in Black is my ringtone!
Dear Stephen, I meant to comment earlier, but dude 100 songs is freaking alot of songs to listen to. I love all of them. I knew there was a reason that we were bff's. (dont tell Ju)
love
Lizzy
Post a Comment