Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Empty School Nest

Eight o'clock feels early.
 
School-supply-laden backpacks wake them up a little.

As does the excitement for the first day of fifth grade,

kindergarten,



and second grade.


 
Mommy-daughter shot.
 
A familiar walk,

although reams of paper in the packs make it feel longer.

 
Back to the blacktop.

Miss Millie starting to look a bit concerned,

as she gets her turn to line up outside the classroom.


Finding her seat at the blue table, 
 
and finally getting a turn on the very carpet both her big brothers have sat on for story time.

Guess who started to tear up during The Kissing Hand?
Definitely not Millie.
Chester Raccoon stood at the end of the forest and cried.
"I don't want to go to school" he told his mother. 
 "I want to stay home with you. I want to play with my friends.
And play with my toys. And read my books. 
And swing on my swing. Please may I stay home with you?"
 
Is it so wrong that I relate more to the kid than the mom in this story?

Calm down, Mommy, it's going to be okay.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

They all look so big! What on earth did you do all day waiting for those cute faces to come home?

You surely lucked out in the teacher department! We ADORE Ms. M. Like, adore.

Debbi said...

All three is school...wow! It's a historic day - you're allowed to tear up!

Julianne said...

I know, we really did luck out, Angie. Katie is the best!

It WAS a historic day, Debbi, you're right! I feel strange walking home from school alone every day, I can tell you that much.

Jenae said...

that seems like kind of a cruel book to read with the parents listening! I teared up a little just reading it, and thinking of Chase starting in a week. Thanks for sharing photos and moments from the big day!

Julianne said...

I know, Nae. It didn't help that it was the same book she read with Bennett five years ago (but not Eli two yrs ago), so it was one of those full-circle moments... Sniff, sniff. So excited for Chasey-bug, though; that kid is going to love school!

Pinky Homer said...

Wow! I have about three years before this happens ... I think I'll tear up now because it's not here yet ... but then I'll be bawling!

Pinky Homer said...

Wow! I have about three years before this happens ... I think I'll tear up now because it's not here yet ... but then I'll be bawling!

Julianne said...

Ha ha, Pinky! So true... Feels like it will never come before it does, and then you want to slow down time when it finally does.