When we found out we were having a girl--while pregnant with Millie; no surprise announcements here--Stephen's first comment was, "She'll be a tomboy for sure." I assumed he meant the influence of two older brothers but later came to learn that HE wanted/hoped our baby would be a tomboy. "She'll play soccer and basketball," began his vision that I kinda mentally faded out of and therefore can't remember in its entirety.
Not only does Stephen love sports (see last post), but he also likes to take credit for his youngest sister being a tomboy, saying how he trained her to be that way from a young age. She is twelve years his junior and was his "little buddy" growing up, he did coach her soccer team when she was younger, and she does love to watch sports like her older brother, but I wonder just how much of that is his influence.
Whenever Stephen and I talk about our early dating days, he claims he was most attracted to me when I was wearing sweats and a ponytail (go figure; if only he'd told me that at the time, I could have saved a whole lot of time and effort), "that just worked out kind of look," and mentions how he liked the fact that I grew up playing all kinds of sports.
Up until the past few months, we hadn't seen a whole lot of girl in our little gal. Superheroes, cars, legos, lightsabers, and Wii remotes topped her happy list. And though she still chooses these boy toys over babydolls, we have noticed a touch of feminine shining through her fiesty, toughgirl armor.
Exhibit A -- Bracelets
Anything that's round, stretchy, and under half a foot in diameter gets greedily grabbed and shoved onto her wrist or ankle.
Exhibit B -- Shoes
Happy to put on, or come up to you like a little puppy dog so you can help her put them on, and take off her shoes all day long, Millie walks around the house with at least one shoe on at almost all times.
Exhibit C -- Purses
Anything with a strap gets flung over her shoulder as she heads for the door, saying "Go! Go!" Maybe it has less to do with being a girl and more to do with leaving the house, in which case, smart kid. :)
I hosted a Miche purse party about a month ago and earned some credit toward a few purses of my own. When that package showed up at our house, guess who quite literally took her first steps to try and get to those shiny, new purses? Daddy's little tomboy, that's who. I cracked up and then waited a little too long to try and capture it on film. By the time I grabbed the camera, she was back to crawling mode, but of course she still had a purse on her arm.
5 comments:
Lol what about his 2nd youngest sister?! ;) I'm pretty sure he had some tomboy influence there.
Stephen just emailed me to say the exact same thing! "Kymber is actually 13 years younger, and I do take credit for Kendra's love of sports, too" were his exact words. :)
That is so funny that after two boys he wants a tomboy!! After two girls, my husband was so excited about a football, baseball, basketball playing all-star boy. But alas, Drew also loves his bracelets and purses.. and shoes. Life doesn't always work out the way you want it. Of course he does love himself some balls too!
Millie and I will be great friends! :)
Ha ha ha ha! Let the pink tutus, sparkly purses and ballet lessons commence. Stephen's just lucky Aunt Heidi left the Bay Area . . .
Post a Comment