Sunday, April 12, 2009

Eggs and Baskets

Well, we did try to make this Easter a little more spiritual by talking about it during the week and doing a Family Home Evening with pictures of the resurrection. Sadly, or not I suppose, most of what our boys understand about the true meaning of Easter comes from the animated movie, "He is Risen." We started off Easter Sunday with their watching it while we slept in, but in the end we went commercial and tried to make the day fun and memorable.

We had already planned to have an Easter dinner and backyard egg hunt at our place with Stephen's parents and sisters that evening, but growing up in a family where all holidays begin the moment you wake up, I simply couldn't wait that long to start celebrating. So what did I spontaneously decide to do? A breakfast picnic on the front lawn, of course! I thought it was a brilliant new tradition that we could recreate for years to come. Stephen was a little bewildered, however, to come out and find the boys carrying blankets, plates, muffins and strawberries out to the grass, thinking they were up to some sort of Sunday morning mischief. Then he saw me putting together the picnic table and realized this was actually my doing, not the boys'. "Here she goes again," is I'm sure what he was thinking.

After breakfasting in the morning sunlight and looking at all that's growing in the garden as a symbol of new life, we let the boys find their baskets and have fun with what was inside, none of which was symbolic or spiritual in any way. Unless of course you feel uplifted when you play games or puzzles, watch Kung Fu Panda, do Spiderman sticker books or play with Matchbox cars. Now eating chocolate, that IS an undeniably spiritual experience!


Time to taste-test the fruits of their labor


"My favorite movie, Bolt!!"


Eli, the gatherer, in action


Good thing he checked the playhouse


A new board game for the game-lovin' Benito


Breakfast on the front lawn--it's not that crazy, is it?

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I somehow missed this post until today, but Derek got Bolt from the Easter Bunny too. Now he wanders the house yelling "Mittens! Penny! Rhino! Awesome!" It's cute and perfect for little boys, huh?!

Stephen said...

No, you didn't miss it. I just posted it today, thanks to some shameless date-faking. I can't even remember the actual date of Easter, to be honest... Too cute about Derek and his passion for Bolt! Eli loves that movie and cannot get enough of the action-packed intro.

Atzimba said...

I laughed hard at your 'chocolate' comment:)
I am glad to read about you guys.
When is your due date?
I still miss you and chatting with you.