Friday, January 17, 2014

Drought, Drought, Go Away

Or maybe we should sing, "Rain, rain, come today." 
 
The bad news?
California is experiencing a severe drought.
Dry lawns and five-minute showers are on their way,
something Stephen not-so-fondly remembers from the late eighties,
if we don't get some much-needed rainfall soon. 
Water rationing will be no fun.
 
Our stake fasted a few weeks ago
as we all continue to pray and pray for moisture.
2013 was the driest year on record
since they started keeping records of that kind of thing.
 
And while things look fairly normal in these parts,
minus a general lack of green in the hills,
other bay area regions have changed.
Dramatically.
 


Reservoirs and lakes are at their lowest

Way below normal levels

Parks and preserves are at their driest

Hidden gems like ditched cars and abandoned towns are popping up at the bottom of lakes

At 9,000 feet, this mountain peak should be covered in snow
 
 
The sorta good news?
We get to enjoy some freakishly warm January weather.
Warm afternoon weather I should say.
Playing at the park,
riding bikes,
eating shaved ice,
playing basketball
and soccer
and bocce ball
and Frisbee
and foursquare
consist of this week's after-school activities.

I feel guilty enjoying it, though, since we so desperately need not-warm weather.

1 comment:

Pinky Homer said...

I just heard about the drought in CA yesterday and I was surprised…. sorry to hear all the things that may be in your horizon … no fun! But, I would enjoy the benefits of nice weather -- guilt free -- while you can because I'm sure your prayers/fasts will be answered.