Friday, January 21, 2011

The kick that cracked

Soccer players wear shinguards for a reason.  If your kids ever try and give you grief about having to wear them, feel free to pass along this story:

"There once was a boy who loved soccer.  He loved it so much that playing on a team two seasons a year wasn't enough.  He loved it so much that playing with his dad in the backyard wasn't enough.  He loved it so much that he had to play soccer every day at school recess with his friends.  Then came the sunny January day when one of the boy's soccer-playing friends kicked him so hard that it fractured the boy's shin.  Now that soccer-loving boy is stuck in a cast and crutches for five long weeks of no soccer at all.  So when your parents remind you to wear your shinguards for soccer, DO IT!!"

One day he's climbing trees

The next he's wearing crutches

And getting glow-in-the-dark, glittered casts

 And x-rays

Not looking as happy as he was in that tree

11 comments:

kenders said...

I still can't believe it happened! Poor B & family! :( What's Eli's reaction? Wants to play with the crutches all the time? ;)

Elaine said...

oh no!! And I thought kendall and a broken arm was bad. broken leg is so much worse!! poor boy. And good luck to you too! This probably means a whole lot better time management... bathing, going places.

Denita said...

Oh man!! That sucks! Poor kid. Does he have to stay out of school for a while or just soccer?

Anna R said...

Oh NO!!! POOR B!!
Is the cast already driving him nuts?!

Unknown said...

Aww. That's a sad story for sure! Let me know if you want any help with school drop off or pick up. It can be tough getting everybody up and out when one is hurting so much.

Poor guy.

Julianne said...

Yes, Eli likes to think the crutches are gigantic guns to play with all the time.

We're going to try sending him back to school on Monday, and Stephen's hoping that B can still play spring soccer in March. We'll see...

The cast doesn't itch terribly yet. He's getting used to the weight of it but prefers having it on to not, since Millie kept bumping into his leg before and making it hurt a lot. Now he feels a little more secure around the house. I'm sure the itching will come, however; it's only a matter of time.

Julianne said...

Thanks, Angie. I appreciate your offer and might just take you up on it, although I'm not sure how quickly he'd be able to hobble out to the curb. :) I'm having to rethink everything about school, however, from how he'll get and go to the bathroom by himself to how he'll get to the cafeteria for lunch. Ugh!

Nancy said...

Oh no! I hope all goes well with his recovery. I do have to admit that I laughed out loud at that last picture... looks as if those little boys grow up and have new adventures! Good luck to mom and the logistics.

ps: I dreamed that you moved in to my Grandma Knight's old trailer home (may she RIP). Funny thing though, it took me until I woke up to figure out where we were. I was SO confused! Anyway, a funny thing I thought I would share. Stephen was so proud of your new home...

Debbi said...

Wow - that must have been quite a kick, ouch! I hope you are all doing okay!

Jenae said...

so sad to see the pictures of him sitting in that chair with those crutches, your dramatic contrast of pictures was heart-breaking. What's going on with school? Is he back yet?

Julianne said...

Yup, back at school as of yesterday. I must confess it's nice not hearing "I'm bored" all day long, and I can tell he's happy to be back with his teachers and friends, who are all giving him lots of attention. We rented a wheelchair for him at school, and today was his first day using it. He said he won tag at recess by wheeling himself in it, so apparently he's doing just fine. :)