Sunday, April 13, 2014

The P-word

This topic terrifies me.
Always has.
Odds are, always will.
 
I have to confess I felt pretty surprised
when I started hearing about a fireside (meeting) tackling this topic,
a fireside for parents AND teens, including kids eight and up.
It seemed too mature and too intense a topic for my nine-year-old son.
 
But then I started to think about the iPad that Bennett and every other
third through fifth grader at his school have sitting in their desks.
I thought about his friends with phones,
and the images they have on those phones.
I thought about the kind of garbage
that pops up on You Tube without your even trying.
 
I realized if it hadn't happened already,
it was bound to happen sometime soon.
My son would possibly seek or be exposed to pornography.
 
So I stopped feeling shocked about this fireside
and started seeking the courage I naturally lacked
to talk to my kid about it 
and bring him along with me.
 
What is this fireside?
It's a program called FIGHT THE NEW DRUG.
 
 
Click on "Get the Facts" and you'll get an idea of what the kids learned.
If it comes to your area, I encourage you to go.
The speaker = engaging and perfect for tweens/teens.
Benito loved it,
despite the awkward subject matter.
 
 

2 comments:

Jim and Connie Jory said...

Good for you Jul! It's a scary thing, but I'm thankful we have tools available to us to restrict content on our phones, computers, etc.

Jenae said...

I still want to talk to you about what you learned at that fireside, that you can pass on to me.